Alberta has the third highest rate of self-reported spousal violence among Canadian provinces, yet family violence is preventable. November is Family Violence Prevention Month in Alberta. It’s a time to increase awareness of the resources and supports available so we can work together to end family violence and build healthier relationships in our communities.
Learn where to turn
This year’s theme, #WhereToTurn, encourages you to learn what resources are available in your community to support those affected by family violence. Here are a few examples:
- the Family Violence Info Line (310-1818) is available toll-free to Albertans 24/7 in over 170 languages
- emergency shelters throughout the province provide safe locations to stay for people fleeing violent or abusive situations.
- other supports are available on our Find supports page
All Albertans can show their support by hosting events during November and using the hashtag #GoPurpleAB. Here are a few ideas:
- share Family Violence Prevention Month awareness resources on social media
- put up Family Violence Prevention Month posters in your community
- ask the leaders in your community to proclaim November as Family Violence Prevention Month
- write a letter or email to the editor of your local newspaper or radio station about the importance of promoting healthy relationships